Sunday, October 11, 2015

Chick-Fail-A

BIG NEWS here in NY, Chick-fil-A has ARRIVED. This is a big deal, particularly for my friends who have been here for a couple of years and felt the Chick-fil-A deprivation. If this is the best news you've heard all day- 5 University Pl #11, New York, NY 10003 is your spot. Now, I've never been a  fanatic, but I do cringe a little when I think about not having one of their chicken sandwiches with cheese and peach milkshakes again. Thinking I should be a team player, I quickly looked up Chick-fil-A's gluten-free menu to join my friends in their frenzy.

Unfortunately for Chick-fil-A they made a big mistake in imbedding their ingredient list in their gluten-free menu. So instead of being a team player, I am going to be the nay-sayer on this one - somebody's got to do it. Sure you can have your food gluten-free, but you can't have it free of 6 million chemicals and creepy ingredients. Maybe it's just me, but I always thought of Chick-fil-A as the "cleaner" fast food brand; that somehow your chicken sandwich on the whole wheat bun wasn't going to kill you as fast as your Big Mac. Perhaps it still won't kill you as fast as, but it certainly isn't going to increase your lifespan. Here is a link to the PDF for you to explore on your own, but lets just go over some of the highlights.


Chick-fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Filet: (no bun) Ingredients: 100% natural whole breast filet, seasoning (sugar, salt, dextrose, garlic powder, onion powder, maltodextrin (corn based), autolyzed yeast extract, spice, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate flavor, paprika [color]), seasoning (salt, sugar, spices, and paprika), butter flavored vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, palm kernel oil, lecithin, artificial flavor, TBHQ, beta carotene), rice starch and potassium phosphate.


Is anyone else concerned that the first (meaning largest amount) ingredient in seasoning is sugar? Then that seasoning goes on to include two other names for sugars, dextrose and maltodextrin. When you grill chicken do you first reach for your sugar jar and next some yeast extract? Nothing like adding some flavor with harmful oils and controversial preservatives.


Chick-fil-A Sauce Ingredients: Soybean oil, sugar, BBQ sauce (tomato puree [water, tomato paste], high fructose corn syrup, vinegar, corn syrup, salt, modified food starch (from corn), soybean oil, hydrolyzed soy protein, natural hickory smoke flavor, mustard flour, onion*, spice (no gluten containing spice), garlic*, natural flavor (no gluten containing ingredients)), water, mustard (distilled vinegar (grain source varies), water, mustard seed, salt, turmeric, paprika, spice, garlic*), distilled vinegar (grain source varies), egg yolk, salt, cider vinegar (from apple cider), lemon juice concentrate, mustard flour, natural flavor (no gluten containing ingredients), xanthan gum, garlic*, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. *dehydrated


I honestly don't even know where to start on this - maybe with how it is possibly necessary to have both high fructose corn syrup and regular corn syrup. In case you missed the memo, both are really terrible for you. How about making some honey mustard with I dk, mustard and honey?


You can't even win with a salad.


Side Salad: Ingredients: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, grape tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, red cabbage, Monterey/Jack cheddar cheese blend (cheddar cheese [cultured pasteurized milk, salt, enzymes, annatto {color}], Monterey Jack cheese [cultured pasteurized milk, salt, enzymes], potato starch and powdered cellulose added to prevent caking, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor])

I know that most of you will still get your chick fil a fix in, but that's why I am here - to take one for the team. I won't eat it so that you can feel better about eating it yourself. More than that, I'll even give you a way to get your fix.

--------------------------------------------------------

"I'll have the 8-count chicken nuggets with waffle fries...and a lemonade"


  • For the Waffle Fries, I cut a white-fleshed sweet potato (purple or light tan skins) with a crinkle attachment on my mandolin. Tossed with bacon fat, salt and pepper and then baked in the oven on 425 for 10 minutes, turned them over and another ten. However, you can feel free to fry them up too!

"Wait, I changed my mind, may I have a side of Carrot-Raisin Salad instead?" (side note: I make this all the time and love it on lettuce wraps). 

"Honey Mustard dipping sauce please."


  • NOTE: I made a dipping sauce out of dijon mustard, tomato paste, and honey.

"Yep, I'll take a Chocolate Chunk Cookie too."




No comments:

Post a Comment