Saturday, November 21, 2015

Handhelds

I know, almost two weeks have gone by and there hasn't been a new post. Thankfully I have two good excuses 1. Life and 2. I was waiting to make one more recipe for this post. I wanted to be sure to give you a comprehensive run down of some of the best paleo handheld recipes.

When you hear gluten-free, your first thought is "but bread!" which is quickly followed by "but pizza!" Then you realize everything comes in a gluten-free variety. You go through this rigmarole all over again when you hear grain-free. First it's, "but gluten-free bread!" which is followed by "but tacos!" Yet, your first few weeks, maybe months, of salads, meals on real plates and breakfasts you have to cook, go pretty well and soon you realize that you don't really miss bread and you'd rather have another serving of sweet potatoes. There comes a point however where you do start to miss the concept of bread, handheld food, both portable and delicious.

Luckily, there is a grain-free/Paleo substitute for everything too, right down to toasty sandwich bread. Some of these recipes are a little more involved than their SAD (Standard American Diet) counterparts, but others are way easier. In any case, I highly recommend making double what you need and freezing the leftover.

Tacos - There a million Paleo tortilla recipes out there, but this is my favorite because it is easy, tasty and freezes fabulously. Use them for fajitas, chorizo tacos, breakfast tacos, fish tacos, anything you want to stick in a taco shell!













English Muffins - I'm a firm believer in "good breakfast, good day" and honestly, there are few breakfasts better than a breakfast sandwich. A lot of paleo breads are a real pain to make, but these english muffins really do take just 2 minutes. I make a couple at a time and keep them in the fridge for the week. I will admit, they do not taste like English Muffins, but they look English Muffins and make a delicious breakfast sandwich all of their own.







Burger: Your handheld doesn't have to be incased in bread, in some cases vegetables will do just as well. Try roasting portobello mushroom caps for 10 minutes at 400 degrees and using them in place of your bun!



Sandwich bread: So one of my favorite paleo blogs is Predominately Paleo and one of my favorite cookbooks is Paleo Down South, both by the same author. She recently released a recipe for Legit Bread and it is legit. You can purchase the recipe here for $2 and I highly recommend you do. Some of the ingredients are a bit of a pain to acquire, but totally worth it. I felt so indulgent enjoying french toast and so normal having a chicken salad sandwich.

I hope these recipes help convince you that eating paleo doesn't mean sacrificing your favorite things, it means enjoying your favorite things without the guilt. Please share any great ways you put these to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment