There are a bazillion paleo pizza crusts out there, but I was looking for one in particular; one that A) I had all the ingredients for B) wasn't going to be a pain in the ass and C) was quick, because I was at one of those "screw it" face-diving levels of hunger. So while all of the links i'm about to post sounded great, I wasn't about to wait an hour for yeast to rise, boil fresh yucca, or go buy a can of coconut milk. Thankfully, I came across this pizza crust recipe from Paleo Spirit that not only met all three of my criteria, but was substantial enough to hold up my over-topped toppings and tasted great. Since I am one person, I divided the dough into three and froze the other two sections for the future, but you could likely feed four from one recipe if you included a side salad.
Now for the sauce. The good news is that there are a bazillion paleo bbq sauce recipes out there that all boil down to ketchup, sweetener, apple cider vinegar and spices. The bad news is most of them instruct you to start with "store-bought paleo-friendly ketchup." As much as I love Sir Kensington's Ketchup, there is just not a chance in hell that I am going to go spend $8 on a jar of ketchup and pour the whole thing out into my sauce for one use, especially when I can spend less than $1 on tomato paste. So your next recommended option is to make ketchup to then make your bbq sauce. Making your own ketchup requires simmering the ingredients on the stove, so if you're like me and dread the thought of dirtying another pan, then that one is out too. ENTER "QUICK AND EASY PALEO BBQ SAUCE" heating the ingredients is even considered optional. I took it one step further in laziness and didn't bother measuring a single thing, just stirred eye-balled amounts of the ingredients together and slathered it on my pizza. Sure, if I had taken an hour of my life to perfectly simmer ketchup and turn it into BBQ sauce, maybe my pizza would have received a Michelin star, but as it was my heart still broke when my pizza was all gone.
Toppings are a pretty straight-forward affair - deli or shredded chicken, sliced green bell peppers, and red onions - until you get to the cheese. As one romantic once said, "What is life without pizza and what is pizza without cheese?" Okay, so I made that up, but I imagine thats how many of you feel. I personally don't miss cheese, which shocks people because I received cheese as birthday and christmas presents for many years. However, cheese seems to be everyone's biggest hang up to paleo, so I didn't dare putting a pizza recipe up without cheese. I have been wanting to find out what the deal with nutritional yeast is anyway, so this was a perfect opportunity.
Dairy is one of those places where vegans and paleo people put down their swords and agree. For vegans, some paleo people and hippies, nutritional yeast is all the rage. I'm not completely sold on its fabulousness, but it is yellow, cheesey-tasting, and at least visually appealing to sprinkle on my pizza. To top it all off, it's name is more than just a label, it is actually incredibly nutritious!
Just two tablespoons of nutritional yeast has:
- 8-10g protein
- 4-5g fiber
- Thiamine (B1) 640% DV
- Riboflavin (B2) 570% DV
- Niacin (B3) 280% DV
- B6 480% DV
- Folate 60% DV
- B12 30% DV
- Zinc 20% DV
- Magnesium 6% DV
- Manganese 6% DV
- Copper 6% DV
So there you have it, Pizza Crust + BBQ Sauce + Toppings = the BBQ Chicken Pizza of your Paleo Dreams.

No comments:
Post a Comment