Friday, January 29, 2016

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes and January Resolution Update

Hi all! So this post is a two-parter. First, I want to share with you that it is possible to have the pancake breakfast of your dreams when doing a 21 day sugar detox (and beyond!). Second, the end of January means the end of the first month into my New Year's Resolution (read it here, I hate repeating myself) and the time to share all the new people I met this month!

Part 1 - Pumpkin Protein Pancakes 

I love breakfast and I love pancakes. The 21 DSD book has a recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes, which is an improvement upon the recipe found in the Practical Paleo. The 21 DSD recipe suggests you enjoy the pancakes with a source of protein like turkey sausages. Thats all well and good, but I have this thing about certain breakfast foods where I want them to be self-containing. Imagine the stack of pancakes I've pictured here with some brown turkey sausages nex
t to it. Its just not as appealing as enjoying a giant stack of pancakes with a cup of coffee. Yet, it is essential to have a good source of protein at breakfast especially following a workout. What is a pancake loving girl to do?!?!

Make my own Pumpkin Protein Pancake Recipe of course!

This massive and gorgeous stack of pancakes comes in around only 350 calories, but packs a protein punch of 19g per serving, 6g of fiber and only 4g of sugar (figures do not include toppings). Eating a healthy breakfast has never felt so sinfully satisfying as polishing off this stack!


Ingredients (2 Servings):
4 eggs
1/2 c canned pumpkin
2 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt

Coconut Oil for cooking
Topping suggestions: fresh fruit, nut butter, shredded coconut, maple syrup (not 21dsd)

Instructions:
1. Mix together (whisk, beaters, blender, you choose!) pumpkin and eggs until smooth.
2. Add remaining ingredients (except coconut oil) and combine until well-mixed.
3. Heat some coconut oil in a pan over medium heat on the stove and cook up your pancakes!

Tips:
1. For efficiency in the morning, I mix up my batter the night before.
2. You can freeze these! Lay flat in a freezer bag and enjoy by microwaving for 30s - 1 minute when you want to enjoy.
3. Be sparing with your coconut oil as you cook these - they can get really greasy really fast. I find that they do best with just a slick thin layer of coconut oil on the bottom of the pan.


Part 2 - January Journal

January 1, 2016

Today I met Clark(e), with an e at the end. I met Clarke at the noon Sky Ting Yoga class down in Chinatown. Clarke is from San Diego, but lives up in the UWS at 86th and Amsterdam, so he had made the trek downtown to be at Sky Ting too. He always goes there though, because his two favorite yoga teachers in the city opened it - our class was with Krissy (side note: it was the best yoga class I have been to in the city). Clarke really misses the beaches and the water and is always looking to find reminders of it in the city. For that reason, he has been meaning to check out Lost Weekend NYC - a surf and coffee shop whose owner happened to be at our class and providing free coffee after class (it was really good coffee). Clarke had a little more to drink and a little less sleep than he meant to have on NYE and was glad to be next to the wall to keep him steady through class. After class, Clarke introduced me to the instructor Krissy, which allowed me to sincerely tell her how much I enjoyed the class. Clarke isn't my new best friend, but it will be nice to see a friendly face when I get back to Sky Ting!

January 7, 2016


Today I met Jackie. It was Jackie's first time at Kickbox Haus for boxing - the 6:30 am class with Juan. Jackie, like me and 90% of the females living on the UES, is a classpass member so we bonded over the different places we like. She basically lives at the 67th street building that houses Flywheel (and barre), SLT and Fhitting Room, However, she really enjoys boxing and had been travelling all the way to Gotham Boxing Gym in the West Village. I'm fairly certain she enjoyed Juan's class enough to stop that silliness. I thought I recognized her from CrossFit on Sunday (where I died), but she is NOT about CrossFit and very vehemently has no interest in it. Jackie and I frequent the same studios so I am sure we will have plenty of opportunities to interact in the future.

January 16, 2016

Today I woke up and panicked because it was the last day in the week of January 10-16 and I had yet to meet anyone. Honestly, I was feeling pretty smug about how easy it is to meet new people (there were several from the first week I left off the log) until I literally did not want to talk to anyone this week. So I set out on my errands this morning with a positive attitude and what do you know? I got the names of two of the people I see every week and had a stranger say hi to me. It's amazing what sending out friendly vibes can do. I'm going to share about meeting Ruth however. Now I didn't just meet Ruth, she is the girl who sells the eggs I buy from the Amish stand at the farmers market. Yet, I didn't know anything about Ruth (including her name) until today. Ruth is getting married in a month! Exciting for Ruth (hopefully), sad for me because she will no longer be coming to the farmer's market after she gets married as she will be moving to Pennsylvania. To make it even sadder, the farm stand will only be continuing until around April, because her family is selling the farm and moving to Alaska. ALL THE WAY TO ALASKA. How will I get my eggs now? Of course I wanted to ask all sorts of questions (is this an arranged marriage?), but decided it might be too soon in our friendship. I'm also starting to think Ruth might not be Amish, because she has an iPhone and now i'm feeling very ignorant about the different cultures we have here in the US. I guess I have one month to get all my questions about Ruth answered.

January 21, 2016

Today I met Jessica, yet another one at Kickbox Haus. Jessica works in advertising. She used to do the creative aspect, but now she runs her company's NY office. Consequently her job spans everything from scheduling fire alarms to approving ad campaigns to hiring and firing employees. Her boss is in Sweden this morning yet very much requires her to be available when he wants to talk. So she had to run out during the class (panting and sweating) to have a quick professional phone call with him and then come back. We commiserated over always being "on call," but she says she can't complain too much, especially because she gets to travel quite a bit herself. This summer she gets to take a turn in Europe herself, by spending a week in Cannes.

January 29, 2016

Today I met Melissa, my stylist at Drybar this morning (yes, being a diva for my company website photo). Melissa is a native New Yorker, grew up in Ridgewood Queens and now lives in Bushwick. Despite being from New York, she cannot handle the cold and says she just spends all winter looking like the Michelin Man. During Jonas she called her mom to come rescue her from being snowed in, but unfortunately the streets had already been shut down at that point. Instead, she got up and made cinnamon rolls for her roommates and spent the day in her PJs with her cat "Chubs." Chubs is your classic fat cat, meowing anytime his bowl is empty to be immediately refilled. Luckily he has some manners - he is apparently all black except for white in his nether-regions, so he at least is always wearing underwear. Melissa is really into the alt. rock and electronica music scenes. In fact, tomorrow she is going to Webster Hall (apparently a well-known club, oops) to see a band L-Train play. She is really excited, not only because she hasn't been out in forever, but also because this band is one she has followed from their start and now they are gaining momentum. An ex-boyfriend played in a band that opened for them once and while he is long gone, L-Train has stuck. She loves that the lead is this tiny pint-sized female who has a voice and energy to fill an entire room. Melissa is really different from me - tattooed, pierced, changes her hair with every outfit via dye, hair chalk (it's a thing), wigs, but I enjoyed chatting with her. We did find common ground on one point - Pocahontas has the best hair.




No comments:

Post a Comment