Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Time-Out Chair

Delicious celebratory cake
from
By the Way Bakery
I've been bad, very bad, for almost the past two months. It isn't mere coincidence that this has coincided with being busy at work and the holidays. When I'm stressed and tired, I shovel all food, but mostly treats, in my mouth and I have been very stressed and tired lately. While all these treats are paleo compliant, it doesn't make them sugar or calorie free and at some point even "guilt-free" treats cross the line into "guilty pleasures." Consequently, I am putting myself in the "time-out chair." Yes, I'm referring to the chair in the corner of your kindergarten class room that the "bad kids" (but never you of course) had to go sit in.


I've been going to "get-it-together" or do a detox or something for at least a month now, but keep coming up with excuses or pushing it back. Last night as I was finishing off my entire container of pecan butter . . . by mixing it with coconut flakes, dried raisins, vanilla and water, microwaving it for 30 secs to make n'oatmeal (really freaking good by the way). I vowed that I would do a 21 day sugar detox (a la Diane Sanfillipo) starting on Sunday. Even at that I still tried to find excuses such as:
  • "but sugar isn't my real problem, its treats generally"
  • "I work out too much to restrict starchy carbs"
  • "I just got new chocolate bars!"
  • "... but my granola!"
  • "wine."
Now, the first one of those is true - I often eat "treats" in excess that are comprised of fully 21dsd-compliant foods. For example last night, my last round of n'oatmeal (because I did try to limit myself at first) had no raisins in it and was an equally satisfying 21dsd treat. However, the line between healthy snack and treat is so amorphous that there is really no way hold myself accountable. I am a lawyer after all and this comes with the ability to argue my way (even to myself) into loopholes. As to the others - the 21dsd book (which I was able to get from the NYPL) has alterations for those that exercise vigorously, which include adding in some starchy carbs and being sure to eat your allowed fruit/day; my chocolate isn't going anywhere and my granola can go in the freezer to stay crunchy; wine - sad face - it's only three weeks?

So, I've decided to cut the crap and do the detox as Phase 1 of my 3 step "treat-ox." Phase 2 I am seriously dreading - giving up nut/seed/coconut butters for lent. Phase 3 is not being an animal when the restrictions come off and exercising self-control. Honestly, I'm going to have to go back to my reward system on this one because I really, really, really love my treats. If I make it two weeks successfully into Phase 3, then I am buying the new Under Armour Healthbox, because I really really want it and need a justification for buying it.

Ultimately, the 21dsd level 3 plan isn't that different than the way I usually eat. It just leaves out the cookies and cake that have become part of my daily routine and the wine that ends (begins, breaks-up) my weeks. The challenge for me is going to be resisting over-indulging in 21dsd compliant treats. In her meal plan, she provides for 3 meals and then a snack - 3 days of fruit with nut butter, 2 days of a "treat" and 2 non-sweet snacks (jerky & nuts). The keys to my success (if at all) will have to be: 1. eating enough at my meals that I am satisfied 2. saving my snack/treat for as far into the day as and 3. If I'm tired and at home, just going to bed. Using the 21dsd formulation as a base I've come up with the following meal plan for the week:


 
Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday



Workout

Spin

Barre

Rest

Gym

Boxing

Circuit

Yoga



Breakfast

Baked eggs



Frittata & Grapefruit

Carrot N'oatmeal

Frittata & Grapefruit

Meat Bagel

Carrot N'oatmeal

Pancakes w/ Nut Butter

Lunch

Mahi w/ Pesto Zucchini & Cucumber Noodles



Out at Inday

Chicken Noodle Soup

Beef Stew (freezer)

Seafood and Salad (work lunch)

Pizza Salad

Seafood & Salad

Dinner

Lamb w/ Truffle Roasted Sunchokes & Broccoli Rabe


 

Chicken Noodle Soup

Lamb Leftovers

Mahi w/ Pesto Zucchini & Cucumber Noodles

Cauliflower Chicken Curry (freezer)

Steak w/ Green Beans & Parsnips

Pork Belly with Ginger Garlic Spaghetti Squash

Snack

Green-tipped banana w/ nut butter


 

Chocolate Pudding

Green Apple & nuts

Jerky bar

Green Apple w/ nut butter

Jerky bar

Butternut Squash Sorbet Sundae


I am excited about coming up with some new recipes (carrot porridge) during this experience and will be sure to share!

Pray for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment