Thursday, June 2, 2016

I'm baaaccckkk

Soft reopening of the blog - why? because I made some amazing muffins this past weekend that's why.

Oh I also miss it.

Also also, to answer the cries of all 4 of you that have asked me to start it again.

Also, also, also - I need some accountability. My stress/depressed/tired eating has gotten out of control. For instance, last night I had two chocolate bars and half a cup of coconut butter (with some flour and an egg that I turned into a brownie) out of pure stress. What I wanted, and could have bought and consumed for way less calories, was a peanut butter cup, but I was running short on time, getting yelled at by a partner and at the time DGAF (google if you are old). I was never so bad when I had the blog because I had to set an example for the world... so without faulting myself too badly for messing up, I'll try not to let you down in the future.

What's new with me?

1. Fitness: In my last post, I admitted to joining a CrossFit gym. No regrets here. I have gotten SO much stronger - seriously, there are actual muscles on my arms. More importantly I have made some really wonderful friends that have made my fitness routine and personal life so much more fulfilling. Currently, I am taking time to address some lingering injuries through PT and have met with nothing but support from my "fit fam" and coaches in scaling/modifying workouts to be within the parameters of what is safe for me to be doing at this time. I'm not going to lie it is torture to force myself to scale or sit-out a workout, but I keep telling myself how much better it will feel to do a workout pain-free. No "rounded spine abwork", no problem! A group of friends and I are holding each other to a 30-day challenge through June to perform this 5-minute plank series every day. Come June 30 we are going to throw on our bikinis, some sunscreen and let the rest of you stare at our hot bods.

2. Life: I'm getting ready to go to London on vacation... with myself. Yes, a solo trip and I am beyond thrilled. I'm a vacation monster and have planned out almost every single moment of my trip. I will post more on how I'm staying paleo on this trip and will promise to post with all my amazing eats I have planned. 

3. Food: Just because I haven't been posting, doesn't mean I haven't been eating! I will admit however, that I haven't been as creative or inspired in the kitchen without the blog. This past weekend though, I made some amazing muffins and felt inspired to share all over again. I have to admit that I was running out the door and didn't have time to properly photograph these before they had to be eaten. You'll survive, I promise. Just make them and trust me that they not only look perfect but taste out of this world. Nothing made me happier than listening to non-paleo eaters rave about how amazing they were - it never ceases to tickle me when people try to understand that eating well tastes good. 

Without further adieu....

Strawberry Rhubarb Poppyseed Muffins, makes 12 muffins or 1 9x5 loaf
My girlfriends and I enjoyed these
as part of a picnic in the park!

This recipe is adapted from http://paleomg.com/strawberry-poppyseed-bread/ and the instructions there should be followed with the following changes:


Add:
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 stalk of rhubarb (or 1/2 cup diced if using frozen)
1 egg for a total of 4

Reduce honey to 3 tbsp instead of 1/3 c

Replace Strawberry Sauce (although I am sure it is delightful) and instead drizzled coconut butter on top and decorated with edible flowers for fun. 

Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 18-20 min or follow directions in link for making the loaf. 



1 comment:

  1. YAYAYAY to return of the blog!! Always enjoy reading it :-) Cooked paleo meals for my family (without explaining why they were paleo until later to prevent the "diet" stigma they were sure to shoot at me) and they LOVED every one of them! Most of them were things I've made and enjoyed from your posts.

    ReplyDelete