| Just because my breakfast was pretty... |
1. I tried bulletproof coffee and I'm hooked. Bulletproof coffee is coffee blended with healthy fats (coconut oil and grass-fed butter/ghee). Sounds really gross right? Which is exactly what kept me from trying it all this time. WRONG. This stuff is literally mind-blowing and has so many iterations. The magic is that the coconut oil/grass-fed butter/ghee emulsifies in the coffee creating the creamy frothiness one loves in a latte, but with the energizing, satisfying health benefits of healthy fats. While simple coffee is great this way, even better is making a bulletproof mocha by adding some cocoa powder and vanilla. You can even accomplish the same effect with teas, carob powder and this magical concoction that I drink at least once a week. Your aversion to the thought of putting butter in your coffee should not be what keeps you from trying this - instead it should be your fear of never being able to go back to regular coffee again.
2. I quit ClassPass and joined a CrossFit gym. Paleo and CrossFit are basically two sides of the same coin, but CrossFit is scary, seems cultish and I like yoga. However, I have felt really in need of finding community since I moved to the city and that desire has made me want to give the CrossFit world a chance. I happened to go check out a HIIT style class at CrossFit Solace on ClassPass after a friend recommended it to me and I joined the gym that day, leaving ClassPass behind. It was just one of those serendipitous experiences where being there just felt right and all the pieces fit together. I felt connected to the people there, had a great workout, loved the facility AND they offer HIIT, Yoga, Barre, Gymnastics and Mobility classes in addition to CrossFit. I am now two weeks into being a member, 3 CrossFit classes deep and thrilled with my decision. Starting my morning with a group of friendly faces all focused on health and fitness makes such a difference in my mood and overall self-confidence. CrossFit is very intimidating from the outside (like, wtf am I supposed to do with a barbell?) however, from the inside, it is actually an incredibly supportive and non-judgmental community where everyone is working at their own level and encouraging each other to meet their own goals.
3. I ordered Kasandrinos Olive Oil ("KEVOO"). There is really nothing better than a delicious high-quality olive oil. Every Paleo podcast I listen to, every blogger I follow, every instagram account I follow, raves about Kasandrinos Olive Oil. However, I haven't purchased it in the past because paying shipping for expensive olive oil just seems stupid when there are a billion brands at the store. Yet, I never know what bottle at the store is going to be a good one and often spend way too much money on an olive oil just to be disappointed. Worse than that is not spending that much money, but getting a giant bottle lacking in any flavor that takes me months to use up. SO with Kasandrinos' latest harvest, I stocked up. It won't ship for a couple more weeks, so I'll have to get back to you on if buying the bundle was worth it, but I now will be using the same olive oil as every other paleo blogger out there.
In sum, drinking a bulletproof coffee on my way to my CrossFit workout, travel size "KEVOO" tucked inside my purse, I am the a walking paleo cliché.
The blog doesn't help it either and I've been feeling very torn about the blog. You may have noticed that I didn't post last week - I just was completely lacking in inspiration. Here are my hang-ups with the blog:
- Putting my thoughts/life/recipes out in the world requires a vulnerability that isn't always comfortable. I honestly don't really want the entire world knowing about my life, because then what is there to get to know? Do people even care? Not to mention, anyone can make a judgment about me based on my blog without ever getting to know me and I don't know if that is fair or if my blog fairly represents who I am as a person.
- I hate repeating myself - it is actually my #1 pet peeve. I wish you could see my face when I get an email or a question that is directly answered on my blog. I put a lot of thought and energy into these posts and being asked a question like "I want to try paleo what should I do?" requires some deep meditation to keep me from answering "WHY DON'T YOU TRY READING THE FIVE #$*&%*#$% POSTS I WROTE ABOUT IT!"
- I rarely get feedback. It is great to know that my blog has had almost 10,000 views since I started it and that I have about 80-100 regular readers. However, its boring to get no feedback. Occasionally someone will text me that they read a recipe or liked my post and it seriously MAKES MY DAY. Most of the time though, I feel like I am just talking to myself.
- Most importantly, I've got to stop living for the blog and just start living. I get so caught up recipes I want to make, articles to read, topics to research, events to comment on for the blog's benefit that I lose sight of doing things for my benefit. Sometimes being able to just eat my food before eating it without having to take a picture, then reheat it because it got cold is SO satisfying. I'm not saying it has to be one or the other, but I need to work on balance.
Then, every time I am ready to quit the blog, I do get some feedback - like hearing through an old friend that a prior acquaintance is actually an avid reader - or a success story - like my granddad's amount of weight loss - that pulls me right back in. So, dear readers, I charge you this week to try and give me some feedback on whether you think my continuing this is worthwhile or stupid or a joke- comment below, email me, text me, call me (I won't answer).
This was really timely about the olive oil. Recently I have had a really disappointing experience each time I cook with the "inexpensive" oil I last purchased. Never again will I scrimp on the oil because it ruins the food and that is wasted money and TIME too. Now I haven't order the Kasandrinos yet because it prompted me to think of two things: 1) we have an olive oil shop less than 2 miles from the house and I should support small, local businesses (I'll stop in tomorrow!) and 2) I have been meaning to order from the Olive Farm in my mother's hometown of Lakeland, GA so I just turned and did that - yay! http://georgiaolivefarms.com/gof/ Still working up to the bulletproof coffee but not yet! I have shared your blog with 3 different people just this week! You are such an inspiration!
ReplyDelete