Friday, March 13, 2015

Sugar-Free Stumbling

In typical me fashion, my New Year's resolution for 2015 is a complicated system of health and fitness goals, whereby each month I set a fitness goal(s) and healthy eating/living goal(s) as well as a reward for myself at the end of the month. January was great, I went to Barre method class three times a week and drank at least 64 oz of water a day. When January 31st came around, I treated myself to the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette . . . and a bacon cheeseburger and peanut butter stuffed brownies. February, started off great, I met my goal of running 3 times/week in addition to Barre method 3 times/week. However, I set too subjective of a healthy eating goal - not to overeat, allowing myself 3 "mess up" days. Valentines Day, Law School Formal, Chick Fil A, and a Vacation in Jamaica later, I had failed to meet my goal - no new Kate Spade sunglasses for me.

For March, my health goal is 4 no added and non-natural sugar days a week. I am going farther than necessary and excluding "clean" sugars such as honey and agave nectar as well. No, I am not starving, fruits and veggies and all whole foods are in, just no honey, agave, brown, white, confectioner's sugar, etc. For a list of names that sugar goes by check out this link 56 Names of Sugar, I keep a screenshot on my phone for easy reference.

Now, here is the problem basically EVERYTHING has some form of sugar in it. I am not holding myself accountable when I negligently ingest a small amount of maltodextrin, but the number of foods is quickly dwindling. For example, my Publix Brand Full Fat Small Curd Cottage Cheese (the natural lactose is okay) contains Maltodextrin - COTTAGE CHEESE REALLY?! I thought I was safe on that one. Admittedly, it is my fault for not checking the label and assuming it would be added-sugar-free. Daisy and Friendly's are free of maltodextrin, which leads me to point out a place where store-brand goods are not an equal substitute for brand name.

Other foods with sneaky sugars I have come across:
  • Chicken Bullion Granules 
  • Thomas English Muffins - even the "healthy" ones
  • Bread Crumbs - even whole wheat
  • Canadian Bacon, Turkey Bacon, Bacon - not really surprised as much as saddened
  • "All-Natural" Nut Butters - Check the label, most of these have sugar added to them. Look for "Raw" and "Unsalted" and "No Sugar" instead. 
Now, I hate wasting food, so I had to wait until one of my 3 off days this week to try what is otherwise a no-added sugar recipe for  Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancake - Ambitious Kitchen. It was well worth the wait, these were fantastic and a much more balanced way to enjoy pancakes. The first time I made these I added frozen berries and since it was a sugar-friendly day, topped my pancakes with light agave nectar. The frozen berries caused the pancakes to too turn a little to mush on the inside and made them difficult to flip. The second time I made these I loved them even more. I cooked two plain and added cacao nibs to the inside of one. Then topped with frozen berries that I had let thaw and a tablespoon of melted peanut butter. Finished off with a cup of hazelnut coffee, this was a delicious, almost indulgent, breakfast that I could feel good about. See the difference in the pictures below. 

Some added-sugar free ideas I am excited to try:
  • Apple Butter (try this recipe, it is magic: Sugar-Free Apple Butter)
  • Cacao Nibs and Raw Nut Butter
  • Cacao Powder and Raw NutButter
  • Berries and Toasted Wheat Germ
  • Fresh Fruit and Raw Nuts
  • Flaxseed and/or chia seeds in batter

If you think of any other great combos let me know in the comments!


Successful second try - berries on top, not inside.
Sad looking attempt 1 with frozen berries inside the pancakes (Still delicious though)


Recipe Notes: the batter is thin and runs all over the pan, but thickened up as it cooked. I use 1 tbsp of the almond milk, add a pinch of salt to the batter  and cook them one at a time in my smallest skillet so that they would have a traditional pancake shape. These can be made ahead in large batches and frozen by laying them flat on a baking sheet covered with freezer, wax, parchment paper or aluminum foil then placing in freezer until frozen. After they are frozen through, toss them in a freezer ziplock. Reheat in the microwave, starting with 30 seconds. 


7 comments:

  1. Is it "cheesy" for your mom to post first? I am inspired by everything you do and especially your devotion to healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Caitlin. Healthy eaters unite! Can't wait to follow your recipes. Make one of your month's plant-based and I can post them on my page :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try it and post a recipe. I loved your gazpacho you made - will you send me that recipe?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! It's from the Rouxbe cooking course I'm taking. Also, if you are cooking this month and really need a sweet component you can make and use your own fruit pastes. It's a whole food so I think it fits into your goal for the month. Just take any dried fruit (dates, apricots, mangoes...) and soak in a bit of water for a few hours or overnight and then puree in a blender or food processor. That's it! You can add it to anything for a bit of sweetness and concentrated flavor - sauces, dressings, batter, cereal, grains, whatever. Check out my page www.facebook.com/plantbasedtable

      Delete
  3. Love your blog. Your pancakes look and sound delicious! Have you ever tried 2 ingredient pancakes? Egg and banana, not sure the amounts, I keep seeing the combo pop up, I'm curious if it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried those. They sound sad, but I will give it a shot. Those are two ingredients I always have on hand.

      Delete
  4. Meredith made a variation of these for me: http://www.livehealtheasy.com/2013/10/energy-bars-and-powering-through.html
    They were really good!

    ReplyDelete